Hazmat Response

Waltham Fire outside the building


by Chris Wangler


January 27, 2023


On Thursday, Waltham Fire contained 5 gallons of diethyl benzene that spilled at Sanofi at 200 West Street.

Because the chemical can be hazardous when inhaled, officials from the Department of Fire Safety (DFS) also responded for a tier 1 hazmat incident.

Crowd outside building

The units were on scene for roughly four hours following a complete inspection of the building. No one required medical attention.

Photos provided by Peter Lobo